Conservative candidate tweets photo falsely claiming to show ISIS fighter posing as refugee (CTV News)

CTVNews.ca Staff:

Conservative candidate Peter Kent was forced to backpedal Tuesday, after sharing a photo over social media that mistakenly identifies a Syrian refugee as an Islamic State fighter.

In the tweet, which has been deleted, Kent called the “then and now” photos “chilling reminders why prudent/detailed refugee screening” is essential.

However, international reports, including the BBC, had already debunked the side-by-side photo after it made the rounds over social media.

According to the BBC, the man seen on the right side of the photo has been identified as a former Free Syrian Army commander originally from Aleppo.

Kent’s tweet was later deleted after Twitter users called out the candidate over social media.

In a follow-up tweet, Kent said he stood “corrected” on the photo, which he said was passed along by a “trusted source.” He also reiterated that there is a need for “prudent screening” of refugees.

Kent, who has served as minister of the environment, is seeking re-election in the Ontario riding of Thornhill.

Full article here